Monday, August 1, 2011

sad and TRUE!

The Ten Pound Baby - Too Big!

I've heard it a hundred times and I should be used to it. But I'm not.
It happened again last week.

My friend was having her third baby. She's already pushed out two babies without problems - an 8 pound and a 9 pound baby.

She's into natural birth, even considered a home birth... but then got nervous thinking about it and went on with the obstetrician. He is a nice man. I like him a lot. If I had to pick a doctor, he'd be in the top dozen that I know. But he works in the hospital and thinks the way he was trained.

Two months ago my friend came home from a prenatal with the shocking, horrifying news, "Mary, they did an ultrasound and my baby already weighs over five pounds! He's gonna be HUGE by my due date!"

I talked her through it: She'd already pushed out a 9 pound baby. This one probably wouldn't be that much bigger, if even that big. She has a great body for having babies. If she was worried about her baby getting big, she could stay away from refined carbs and sugars.
She looked skeptical. I wondered if she really was scared of doing labor again and was hoping for a c-section. I hoped not, but I had to think that perhaps that was going through her head... I loaned her some books and told her that she'd already done it twice, and I was sure she could do it again.

About two weeks ago, they did another ultrasound. This time she was told that her baby already weighed a whopping TEN pounds! Her doctor didn't like the idea of her birthing a 10+ pound baby, and she really didn't like the idea. They mutually agreed that she'd have an elective cesarean section on the following Monday. She'd be 37 weeks. Everything would be fine.

So last Monday, her belly was sliced open and this "giant baby" was extracted. He weighed 6 pounds, 7 ounces. She sighed and laid there waiting for everyone to put her insides back together while he cried and squirmed in the warmer.

The doctor smiled - another successful c-section! No respiratory problems for the baby, no issues with the mother. The ultrasound estimate of size was a little off... but no harm was done, so that really didn't matter, right?

The nurses smiled, too. All was well as the new daddy stood near his baby and held his hand and the mommy was stitched neatly closed.

This is birth... the American way.


from Better Birth
http://betterbirth.blogspot.com/2009/10/ten-pound-baby-too-big.html


this article talks more about this :)

http://mamabirth.blogspot.com/2011/01/obstetric-lie-97-your-care-provider-is.html

2 comments:

Angelique said...

Scary!

Artsy Mama Garza said...

They told me Lukey might not even be 4 pounds and probably wouldn't be able to breathe on his own. They told me if I got too stressed out I could make it worse. They terrified me into inducing (even though I was already in labor) which caused my labor to go too fast, which caused me to stress out and give in to an epidural. Then the nicu nurses didn't respond to the call when he was born. Good thing they were all wrong! He was 5lbs 4oz and breathing fine. Despite all the crazy looks from doctors and nurses, this little 95lb girl CAN make heathy babies even WITH their stupidity! And next time I'm doing it without them!