Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Diaper Washing

I do what EcoSprout recommends. They are also my favorite detergent. We use it on all our clothes. Like the instructions say, it takes some trial and error!

EcoSprout wash recommendations! 

When I lived in Texas, I would do a hot mini soak. I would leave the washer lid (top loading) up so that the water would fill up and let the diapers sit for about 30 minutes.
Next, I would run a hot wash, cold rinse with detergent (2 tbsp of EcoSprout) You have to test out how much detergent works for you. I had a TINY washer and dryer so thats just worked for me. 
I would run an additional cold rinse at the end.

In Texas I only dealt with stinky issues once or twice. The two types of stink I've encountered is ammonia and poopoo smell.
Ammonia is usually caused by using TOO MUCH detergent.
Poopoo smell is from using NOT ENOUGH detergent.

When I moved to Arizona it took me AN ENTIRE MONTH to figure out a wash routine. Arizona has some of the hardest water. You can smell the minerals in the water. I tweaked my wash routine and detergent amounts to NO AVAIL! My sweet babe had rashy red bum from ammonia burns. I was stripping my prefolds every wash! I researched and read and decided to give Tide original scent liquid a try. I coupled it with Calgon water softener and after the first wash and first overnight full pee pee diaper test. NO STINK!!!! So this is my routine now.
Long hot soak followed by a hot wash cold rinse with no detergent.
Then I run a hot wash cold rinse with 2 tbsp Tide and 2 tbsp Calgon
Followed by 2 cold rinses.
It sounds complicated but let me tell you. Most places you do not need a routine this complicated.

No comments: