Sunday, February 15, 2015

To my son, on your first birthday

To my son, on your first birthday,

My boy. What a sweet little thing you are. You have the sweetest disposition. I can't believe how incredibly much I love you. You're a great little cuddler and know just when to lay your head on my chest, pat my shoulder and say, "Mama." Your first year was a year of big changes in our family and you just go with the flow. You love to be worn close to me but also like to look around and get down. But you quickly let me know that you aren't happy if I get out of your line of sight. "MAMA? Mama!?" you yell. You love to eat. Mostly meat and avocados. And fruit. And actually pretty much anything I put in front of me. You kill me with your waving and pointing. When you shake your little head, "no no no," I can't help but laugh. The sweet way you roll over on Nora and grab her face and just want to be near her makes me so happy. I love you my son. Always and forever. I want to show you how to be empathetic, and kind, and respectful. I want to teach you to shun arrogance and pride and embrace humility. I pray that The Lord gives me the wisdom to shepherd your heart and guide you down the right path. I pray that I may fill your heart with love. My sweet boy, you are one today. May you have many more years on this earth. I will always look at you and remember your sweet innocence. And I will always stand by you and hold your hand. I love you and happy birthday, John. 

No comments: